AI writing tools, particularly prevalent ones like ChatGPT, gained tremendous traction in 2023. While these tools, known as Large Language Models (LLMs), have been around for some time, their advancements have placed them front and center on the digital map this year.
A common early use of these AI tools is to speed up content creation – but it’s essential to be aware of their limitations to get the most value…especially as we approach 2024!
The Risks of Using LLMs for Content Creation
AI can be a handy assistant for creating content, but there are some essential things to know. Google has mentioned that they won’t penalize websites simply for using AI-generated content. However, they continue to emphasize the limitations of automated content and the importance of delivering quality, original content that truly benefits the reader.
With changes coming to how we experience online search, there’s a challenge ahead. Simply using AI to rephrase existing knowledge might not make your content stand out enough. It’s also worth noting that ChatGPT can occasionally provide inaccurate or misleading information.
So, it’s essential always to have a human overseeing and correcting the AI’s output.
So, How Should You Leverage ChatGPT for Content Creation?
With great power comes great responsibility. When you keep a human in the loop, AI tools can power up your content creation process for more effective, faster results. Think of AI as a helpful assistant; it can brainstorm, suggest, and draft – but the strategic decisions should be yours.
Here’s how to efficiently use ChatGPT at different content creation stages:
- Planning: ChatGPT can generate content ideas and questions based on prompts about your product, customers, and competitors. GPT-4 is great at topic research and clustering. Then, refine these ideas with human insights and keyword research to plan topics and outlines.
- Drafting: Start with a brief or outline written by you or your team, and let ChatGPT expand on it. The AI can quickly churn out raw copy for a person to review, enhance, and finalize the content. Give GPT-4 the more rote tasks like generating your meta description and structured data markup that can help you perform better in search.
- Editing: Feed your drafted content into ChatGPT to get insights on how to improve. Look for its suggestions around clarity and conciseness, and ask it to implement its recommendations iteratively. Missed a few link opportunities or keywords? AI can quickly help you find and seamlessly work in keywords and internal links you missed.
Boosting ChatGPT’s Capabilities
While LLMs like ChatGPT are powerful, they have their limitations. ChatGPT alone cannot access the internet, can’t look at the content on your web page, and typically can only handle a modestly sized prompt or completion at a time.
But with a premium subscription to access GPT-4, you can find a buffet of tools and plugins that fix that for free. These tools can help ChatGPT analyze content from web pages, pull recent data from different sources, and evaluate larger files.
Some of the standout tools we’ve experimented with include:
- Access Link (or similar plugins that allow content analysis via a link)
- Noteable (to analyze data sets as visualizations in a computational notebook)
- Claude100K (to examine and conversationally evaluate large files and data sets)
Always Keep a Human in the Loop
Using LLMs might streamline parts of your process. Still, ensuring a human touch at all stages is critical to protect your brand’s reputation. Authenticity and trustworthiness are fundamental in content marketing.
The makers of ChatGPT, OpenAI themselves warn users about the chances of receiving inaccurate information, declaring that [ChatGPT is] “not intended to give advice.”
Your team brings invaluable skills in reading critically, innovating, and verifying content accuracy. They are extra powerful if they have (or can access others with) first-hand experience with your offerings and your audience’s customer journey. AI tools cannot apply the same critical thinking needed to make content more original and helpful than what is already available.
Training AI to Reflect Your Brand
Imagine onboarding a new team member; you can similarly guide AI to capture your brand’s unique style better. Tools like Mem.ai can act as personal content libraries, aiding in producing more tailored AI suggestions and identifying content strategy gaps. Over time, you can train LLMs to understand and portray your brand more accurately and effectively.
Striking a Balance Between AI and Human Input
To achieve the best content marketing results, blending the speed of AI writing with human creativity and judgment is best. ChatGPT is a tool to assist you, not replace you. It can help plan and draft content, but humans must oversee, refine, and verify its output.
Encourage your team to experiment with AI tools like LLMs, not just to produce content faster but to create richer, more insightful content. After all, while quickly creating content has become more accessible, ensuring its quality remains a human endeavor. And that quality is what will truly set you apart in 2024.
Need help with your SEO or content marketing? Augurian can help you drive results with AI.
- 2024 Marketing Planning – Experts Answer 3 Questions Worth Considering - September 27, 2023
- Dena Mayne’s Journey from 3M to Keystone: ‘How I Work’ EP49 - September 25, 2023
- From Debt to Millions: ‘How I Work’ ep48 with Jeanne Omlor - September 11, 2023